| Picturesque place
of the Valley of Huesca
Place of the county of Huesca that
belongs to Alcalá del Obispo. It has about 100 inhabitants and
its altitude is of 499 meters on the sea level. It's 14 kilometers from
Huesca. Gentile: "fañanasino".
From Huesca there are two routes
to arrive to Fañanás that go both by Alcalá del Obispo.
One comes from the highway of Sariñena, with deviation in Monflorite,
to the left hand. The other one is for the highway of Barbastro,
in the deviation of Siétamo to the right hand, following the
highway that leads to Novales. In all moment dominates the characteristic
landscape of the Valley, in which the irrigable land is alternated with
the unirrigated one.
Alcalá del Obispo is the municipal
capital, with its urban nucleus climbed on a hill that crowns the church;
a quilometer later on, Fañanás is. The landscape appears therefore,
without hardly alterations, alternating the plain with the mountainous
soft reliefs, and the green of the cultivated earth with the ocher and
gray of the unirrigated land.
Fañanás had a strong dependence
of Huesca in the past. But it achieved, finally, its municipal
independence in 1834; a little time later -in 1845-, 0la would
be annexed, population located in the North slope of Monflorite
and where is tradition that San Úrbez arrived shepherding. It
is this way by it could maintain its City Council up to 1970-1980 in
that it decided its incorporation to Alcalá del Obispo. By its
first documented history is known that April, 5 of 1097 Pedro
I of Aragon gave to the cathedral of Huesca the castle and the
village of Fañanás. April, 7of 1272, the infant Pedro,
son of Jaime I of Aragon, signed in the valuation that of the
castle and village of Fañanás had made the bishop of Huesca,
in favor of Guillerma, widow of Domingo Dombuy. August
28 of 1290, Alfonso III of Aragon ratified the agreement for
the restitution of the castle of Fañanás, among other, in favor
of the bishop of Huesca, by noble Sancho of Antillón,
"when it is paid the 15.000 salaries by those that he was forced." The
ecclesiastical dominion of the place was prolonged during centuries,
because in 1566 it belonged to the bishop of Huesca, according
to Durán, and in 1785 it remained in the same hands. At the present
time, it is even possible to contemplate the remains of a fortified
old construction, in the vicinities of the church that without a doubt
correspond to the castle that is mentioned in the documents of the XI
and XIII centuries.
The houses of Fañanás are of characteristic
very similar to those characteristic of the area of the Valley of Huesca
(Huesca Hole), with prevalence of the stone ashlar and the adobe,
in occasions everything deformed under the plaster and the lime. By
the vicinity to the capital, there's no lack leisure time constructions,
thought for the weekends.
The parochial church is dedicated to
Our Mrs. of Pilar. It has plant of Latin cross, with chapels
among the arms of the cruise and the ship that is divided in two tracts:
the first covered with glass windows and the second with starry vault.
The cruise is covered so, with the corresponding dome. You consents
to the temple through cover of half arch, escorted by pilasters. The
tower has three bodies. The group presents elements that go from the
XVI century to the XVIII one.
Fañanás has likewise a hermitage dedicated
to Our Mrs. of Burette, of a single ship covered with vault
of glass windows and chapels in the lateral. On the cruise there's a
blind dome. It has down the hermit's house also. The construction is
registered at the XVII century.
The lineage of Fañanás doesn't
come from this same place, judging by the references that exist of it,
because it corresponds to a noble family originating of Biescas
and later settled down in Huesca, already documented in the XV
century. In the XVI one branches of this same family appear in Santa
Eulalia La Mayor and Puibolea. And one century later, in
Arascués. It also appears in Lupiñén starting from the
XVIII century. The heraldic weapons consist on a shield party, the first
barracks in gules with a bear of sheer sable, to the left and
crossed by a lance, and the second of silver, with several houses with
mountains over and these, in turn, of castles, and bordure in azure.
Another of the branches simply uses silver shield with a beech of sinople.
The town of Fañanás allows to see
that it lives in consonance with the times that we run and in the measure
of what the village can, upgrades its urbanism. A proof of this are
so much the presence of restored houses, as the existence of works of
new construction. They are sample some semi-detached houses of a very
good appearance; and already near the square of the source, a group
of modern housings of very recent termination.