the Huesca "Under Mountains"
a place for rest again
A place of the province of Huesca,
located in the "somontano" (under mountais place).
It has little more than 100 inhabitants and it's 475 meters on the level
of the sea. There are 19 kilometers from Huesca. They are named
Torres de Montes are located in
a depression of the "under montains" of Huesca, between
Pueyo de Fañanás and Angüés, Blecua and Siétamo
villages. The deflection starts of the highway of Huesca to Barbastro
(national 240), dividing the way between Siétamo and Velillas,
to the right hand, in route for Antillón and Pertusa.
Also from Angüés it is possible to arrive directly.
The urban center is made up of some modest
constructions, of adobes and "tapial" (stone walls),
on a quite irregular layout, although it emphasizes some house of noble
aspect. The houses alternate with some farming installations. They are
appreciable houses very rehabilitated also, as dictate the present tendencies
in rural means of Upper Aragon.
In the past, the place was secular domain.
There's certainty which the 29 of September of 1348 Pedro IV
of Aragón gave the place and castle of Torres de Montes
to Juan Fernández de Heredia. Ten years later, the 20
of April, Juan II ordered them that would be taken both town
and castle “while the lawsuits between Felipe de Castro and Pedro
In century XVI it was of Bernardine of
Bolea, and in 1610, of Martin de Bolea, according to Labaña.
Administratively, it appeared like path, group of judges, and successive
way of Huesca also. In 1834 it formed its own City council, and
in 1960-1970 megred with Blecua, thus giving origin to the new
municipality of Blecua and Torres, with the "capital"
Its population, that got to surpass the
400 inhabitants in last century -18 fires had in century XV-, is something
decreased now, with something more than 100 inhabitants, although in
the Summer it is itself increased.
In the ecclesiastic it depended on the
archdeaconship of Serrablo, in 1280; and at present time, of
the bishopric of Huesca. Its parochial church is dedicated to
the Santos Reyes (Holy Kings), and is a building of century XVI,
reformed in the XVIII. It has a single ship that culminates in polygonal
apse and it is covered with vault of "half Moon form". Chapels
in the lateral ones are opened, covered as well with the same way. The
altarpieces date from century XVIII. The group is completed with the
bell tower, that is of ashlar masonry and raises four bodies.
There are two hermitages also. The hermitage
of Santa Ana has a ship of four sections, with pointed arcs diaphragm,
and its construction dates from century XVIII. Another of San Miguel,
in ruins during some time, has a single ship also, with tube vault.
Taking a walk by Torres de Montes
one breathes tranquillity and calmness; nothing pretends to be in a
hurry. Once entered in this clean and impeccable town, and arrived at
an interior square, the outside of a cafeteria will invite to us to
seat around a table, to leave therefore the time continues passing,
or to enjoy a relaxing social gathering. It does not defraud a visit
to the place, to walk by its streets and to take a walk until the church..