| Route of the Stone
and civil architecture
Place of the county of Huesca, located
in the valley of the Gállego river, next to Ayerbe
and the North of the reservoir of Ardisa. It has 232 inhabitants
and their altitude is of 472 meters on the sea level. It's 36 kilometers
from Huesca. The inhabitans are named biscarruesinos.
If we come from Huesca, to Biscarrués
we comfortably arrive for Ayerbe, where we take the deviation to the
left - hardly entered in the population - in address to Losanglis
The urban nucleus settles in a preferable
way on a suave promontory, to the right of the highway, as we come from
Ayerbe. You ascends in hill to reach on the left, the rectangular
and wide square, of which starts the biggest street. In the center,
a tree-lined area, around a walled platform that protects a modern sculpture
in stone. The main streets are long and steep, clean and with an excellent
Crowning the town, it majestic highlights
the parochial church of Nuestra Señora de la Asunción. Magnificent
cover and a beautiful square tower, of Renaissance Aragonese style,
of regulating width in each one of their sides and finish off with the
typical arcade, low roof to four slopes. The factory is of good seat.
The temple is divided in three ships separated by pilasters, the central
ships is covered for lunetos vault, and vault in the lateral
ones and the sacristy. The cruise covers, in turn, with óculos
(a little window with form of "O") dome. You consents through
a portico. The construction belongs together at the end of the XVII
century. As curiosity, housing of contemporary aspect embedded to the
right flank of the church, with all the indications of being inhabited.
This parochial was church of Montearagón, until it passed to
depend on the bishopric of Huesca.
The hermitage of Santa Quiteria is almost
of the same time that the parochial church, since it was lifted in 1748.
Their only ship ir covered with wooden vault supported in pillars octogonales.
It offers also, special interest a source of the XVI century that flows
low seat arch, to the outskirts of the town. It doesn't neither lack
the term cross.
Although mentions of the place already
exist in the XI century, the life in it starts up in April of 1194,
in that don Pedro Puyó and his brothers, gave to populate the
term that they possessed in Santa María de Biscarrués.
Later on, August of 1381, 18 the king
Juan I sold Biscarrués to the monastery of Montearagón.
Finally, it would pass at the hands of the gentleman of Ayerbe
whose possession was prolonged until the abolition of the secular dominions.
At the end of century XIX it already got to surpass a half thousand
of inhabitants fully, when Erés was united, in 1845, and later
Piedramorrera, in 1930-1940. Soon would begin the process to
the inverse, since from 1950 they are accented the effects of the emigration
and the census descends significantly.
The festival calendar of the place had
always like a signal dates January 20, San Sebastian, and August 26.
The economy of the place, still has as
main source the agriculture and the cattle raising that still give its
fruits like in the past. The earth is prodigal and continues justifying
the man's presence.
Among the towns of their environment,
Biscarrués has highlighted traditionally for the care final aspect
of the walls of its buildings, and its stonemasons ended up enjoying
certain fame in the district. This way, most of the houses of this town
is built starting from stones with final finishes of different fineness,
although can also be other less abundant materials as the adobes, the
cement adobes or the bricks manufactured in an old tile located in the
current location of the pools.
Outside and inside the urban nucleus
construction works are observed. Sometimes to lift new housings - more
evident next to the highway - and other, to rehabilitate old houses
inside the town; action that is carried out with the biggest care, respecting
to the maximum to the style of the old architecture.