| Oscense Circle
the beautiful Casino of Huesca
The construction of this building,
was impelled by the edil Manuel Camo in 1887. The works began
in 1901, previous acquisition of lands in the square of Zaragoza,
being achieved a beautiful building, valuable copy of the architecture
of the time. The project was charged to the catalan architect Ildefonso
Bonells Recharx, with the collaboration of D. Ricardo Magdalena,
and it constitutes the best example in modernist architecture of this
city in which different urban and architectural aspects converge that
transforms it into a very outstanding of the Aragonese architecture.
The building constitutes a singular
piece located in downtown: the Navarrese square, in the nº 4. Its
situation back located regarding the construction line configures
a transition space that occupies a sunny and wide terrace. The volume
is symmetrical with relationship to the axis of the main facade and
it is configured by the addition of geometric simple bodies throughout
its traverse axis. It's made by a central great body, crowned by a
fronton that in each one of their lateral has embedded a smaller body
and like culmination of the corners, four octogonals turrets . The
group presents a character of castle-strength reinforced by the solidity
of its construction.
Outwardly the volumenometer becomes
unified for the white color of its facades and for the different composite
elements. In the elevations the composition symmetrical forms a lineal
lattice that stumps the delimitation among full and holes. The modernist
elegant decoration and secessionist combines with historicists ornaments.
In the interiors, and responding to a will of integrative design,
it is necessary to mention the furniture and the decoration to the
pleasure of the time.
Of the beautiful building highlights
the hall access door, carved in walnut wood by Francisco Arnal,
the lobby, the perron, the murals paintings and the decoration of
the living rooms, without obviating the furniture, the set of dishes
and the rest of the ornamental elements. It began to provisionally
work as Casino in 1904 and was inaugurated officially at10 of August
of that same year.
Of the interior highlight the magnificent
perron and living rooms with good decoration and mural painting of
Félix Lafuente. The activities were inaugurated in 1904 and
from then this casino was the center of the social life of the bourgeoisie
of Huesca, settling down a library and being organized exhibitions,
concerts and other cultural acts.
During the first quarter of the XX
century the Casino enjoyed the biggest period of splendor, with an
economy maintained by the partners and the benefits of the game, where
dances, concerts and events of great repercussion in the social life
were celebrated. The prohibition of the game and of the political
parties, with Primo de Rivera, supposed a hard setback for
the center and an accused decrease of their revenues. During the civil
war, the building transformed into military hospital and in 1951,
already without means of subsistence, the president of the Circle
gave it to the City council of Huesca. After years of buried existence,
in 1982 was constituted the Circcle Oscense Municipal Foundation,
governed by an advice rector that has given to the center a popular use.
The Casino of Huesca, either for their
magnificent figure or their strategic situation, constitutes an indispensable
element in punctual many social events. Such it is the occasion in
the Magicians Kings festivity and final of parties of San Lorenzo,
among other important events.