Huesca temática

Number 123 - August of 2008Spanish language Principal menu

"Miguelas" Church

Monumental church
on North of the city of Huesca

      The church and convent popularly well-known as of "Las Miguelas", is on the North of the city of Huesca, in the right bank of the Isuela river, next to San Miguel's bridge, already in the road toward Sabiñánigo and Jaca for the 330 National highway. The construction highlights especially when we contemplate it from Ronda of Montearagón street, good known as "the trasmuro" (back of the wall) of the city. Evidently, the church is dedicated to San Miguel archangel.
      The construction dates from XII century (year 1110), being the King Alfonso I The Fighter, who a day, going with his vassals, he in fact got off his horse at this place, to define the land where should erect a church under San Miguel's invocation, donating the lands to the cathedral of Huesca for such effect.
      By the middle of the XII century the temple was already finished. Soon after the tower would be finished off, that is of balanced proportions. Annex to the temple, a convent would be built. This temple will suffer with the time different reformations, like it can be appreciated in the enormous head and in the attractive apse of Gothic styles. Of origin it conserves so alone the romanesque tower and the central nave. It would be in the XIV century, when was redone the apse that shows a very interesting combination of spaces, volumes and buttresses on polygonal floor, with a great effect and architectural value.
     Until final of the XV century, once a year, it met there an assembly of neighbors of Huesca to be about the government of the city; this group of citizens was known as The Town council. In the South wall of the temple, a almost hidden door for the constructions of the convent exists that is denominated in fact "of the Town council", it was just for where the components of the Civic Town council entered in the church. .
     From the XVII century, the construction is occupied for religious of the order of the "wearing shoes Carmelites" who residing in Sariñena requested and obtained license to be founded in Huesca.

     It was in the year 1623 when for its construction, the first stone of the convent was blessed. There exist references of which next to the church and from the ends of the XIIth century and even in the Middle Age, there was a Hospital for patients and other for lepers.
     The exterior of the temple, is harmonious, superb and robust, showing a few thick buttresses in the apse and its elongated Gothic large windows that provide it a big personality; all this along with a small square in which there's a term cross.
      Inside the church, it amazes the tightness and big length of the nave, with a head that is of undoubted Gothic style. To the feet, it seems that there was a choir, of which only the trace of a modest grille stays.
      This combined architectural matter provokes the sensation of very care; and together with San Miguel's bridge and the recent gardening works that have been able to improve the aspect of the Isuela river, constitute a strong attractiveness for the walker, tourist and even of the specialist of the art and architecture. .

  Click, another photograph

     The place, finally, turns out to be pleasant and relaxing, capable of inciting to a suitable walk. Undoubtedly, the city has obtained a more attention point for travelers, tourists and walkers.


 Manuel Tomé *   Diversas Fuentes
** Manuel Tomé Bosqued

  Hay más artículos !!All literary articles of Upper Aragon (Huesca, España)

 Visite Huesca, le sorprenderá ....