| In the Valley of Huesca
bordering to Somontano of Barbastro
It is a place of the county of Huesca,
belonging to the municipality of Siétamo. It had 57 inhabitants
in the year 2003. Its altitude is of 518 meters on the sea level.
It's from Huesca 19 kilometers. Gentile: "liesano".
The deviation for Liesa arises
a little kilometers of passing Siétamo, in route toward
Barbastro, to the left. From the capital, the journey is only
of 19 kilometers. You is still inside the Valley (Hole) of Huesca,
but already stepping in Somontano (Down Mountains). It is about
a highly representative area, as much for its history as for the monuments.
The traveler won't be defrauded in any case. The landscape breaks
the monotony of the plain, with the foothills of Guara in the
background. The gullies are outlined, barely deep but wide and generous
the more than the times.
The layout of the urban niucleus is
quite irregular, distributed in three squares and seven streets. Don't
lack the houses with arch of half point and "dovelas"
framing the entrance door, wooden lathed balconies and windows. The
seat stone is present in the baseboards and in the corners; the rest
use being wall stone or of masonry. Nobiliary shields highlight in
some facades. In 1834 it reached the municipal independence and it
was constituted in City council, up to 1970-1980 in that it was united
to Siétamo. Their first mention appears in "Cartulario of
Montearagón", between January and February of 1104, with reason
of the concord carried out by the bishop of Huesca and the
abbot of the mentioned monastery. Half century later, in 1153, the
bishop Dobón of Huesca gave Férriz the whole
church of Liesa. Later on, August of 1357, Liesa belonged
to Teresa Díaz of Mendoza. January of 1389, 22 it was
of Miguel of Gurrea, and in hands of this family the
place will be seen from now on. In the XVI century showed the dominion
Juan of Gurrea, and in 1610, Gaspar of Gurrea,
according to Labaña.
The population overcame the 200 inhabitants
in the century XIX already - 291 inhabitants registered the census
of 1857 -, to begin an alarming descent in the first half of the last
XX century. There was a primitive romanesque church, dedicated to
San Pedro, of which speak the documents of the XII century
already. Its remains were in an end of the urban nucleus, remaining
in foot a part of the apse, the wall on the side of the Gospel and
a chapel with pointed canyon vault and paintings murals of the XVI
century. The parochial church that has arrived to our days was lifted
in 1642. The tower steeple, however, seems quite later, of the XVIII
Near to the town, on a hill, the hermitage
of Our Mrs. of the Mount rises that was declared national monument
due to the important paintings that conserves in its interior. Its
factory is of the XIII century and consists of a ship of three tracts,
with pointed vault and of half point. To the feet airy reed-mace rises.
The murals paintings corresponded to beginnings of the XIV and XV
centuries. Those on the side of the Gospel represent, in its central
part, to San Vicente Martyr, and in the lateral ones is represented
San Vicente's trip and his bishop Valero - then acolyte - to Valencia,
"with the corresponding episodes of the young deacon that shines ecclesiastical
vestments". In the side of the epistle is Santa Catalina, with
scenes of her martyrdom and the apology of the Christianity opposite
Majencio. These exceptional paintings, as well as the letters
that appear under some scenes, belong to the purest Gothic style.
Liesa celebrates several parties:
bigger to first of August, on Tuesday of Pentecost, in commemoration
of the discovery of some relics that had made a mistake in San
Juan's night, in Foces. To this commemoration attend, as
a rule, the devotes of the neighboring towns. So there is another
smaller party in honor of San Sebastián, January 20.
Also, San Antonio's abbot brotherhood celebrates the festival
of this Sant.
The step of the highway for the town,
is sinuous, encircled in curved to the structure of the church, so
the traveler that goes in passing to the towns of Ibieca or
Aguas, cann't imagine that leaves to his right hand an urban
nucleus of a picturesque place, worthy of being visited.