| It watches over from its hillock
highway in UnderMountains
A place of the province of Huesca,
belonging to the municipality of Angüés. It has approximately
59 inhabiytants registered in 1999. The altitude is 519 meters on
the sea level. It is distant from Huesca scarcely 19 kilometers. They
are named velillenses..
On top of the mount the chapel of San
Bartolomé rises, dominating the scenery; below, in the skirt,
already looking for the flatness, there has a short rest the urban
nucleus of Velillas, grouped around its parochial church.
The place name changed spelling according
to the epochs: between 1495 and 1609 it was Belillas; in 1646,
Velillas; from 1713 until 1797 it turned out to be again written
with b, y from 1957 written Velillas has already appeared.
The place is located between Siétamo
and Angüés, to the left of the highway that goes from Huesca
to Barbastro, and allows to see its urban nucleus on the foot
of the mount that crowns the chapel. The houses respond to the popular
architecture of the area and many of them are of adobe: others, of
stone, and less, of brick. Someone show its whitewashed fronts.
Velillas was path to Huesca,
until 1834, that it formed Town hall. Later, in 1960-1970, it joined
Angüés, although supports a census of 59 inhabitants. In the
XVth century it was assembling 16 requests, and in 1797 it registered
30 neighbors. In the middle of the XIXth century it had 30 houses
and 185 inhabitants. It came at the beginning of the XXth century
with half a thousand of inhabitants. Its emigration process has continued,
in certain way, the same indexes registered in similar populations.
Velillas has a castle, of which some
remains stay in the top of the mount that rises on the urban nucleus.
So much it is like that, that on May 3, 1093 Sancho Ramírez
king of Aragon gave to the monastery of San Ponce de Tomeras
the Velillas castle. This donation was ratified by Pedro
I on May 8, 1097. In the XVIIth century (1665), the place belonged
to the University of Huesca.
The parochial church is dedicated to
St Martin bishop and is a work of the XVIIth century (renaissance),
of a ship of four phases, covered by fanlights vault. It presents
chapels in the buttress. In the XIXth century it was already provided
with five altars. The tower rises to the feet, of square plan.
The chapel of San Bartolomé,
on top of the mount, consists also of a ship of four phases, separated
by pointed arches; it is a construction of the same epoch as the parochial
church. Another chapel dedicated to Santa Bárbara exists -Madoz
also mentions that of San Ponz- of a ship with an only phase,
which was supported in ruins.
Velillas celebrates its patron saint
holidays in honor to San Bartolomé, on August 24. Earlier it
honors also San Isidro, on May 15.
The place does not stay foreign to
the tourist and residential promotion, so that according to the times
today, although timidly, it shows any single-family modern construction.
It has City Council and soccer field, in addition to its typical church.
From the National 240, already tempts
to us the visit that scarcely will take a few minutes to us