| A particular place
in the Barbastro "Somontano"
Location of the province of Huesca,
in the municipality of Bierge. Population: 36 inhabitans. Altitude:
640 meters above sea level. 35 kilometers far from Huesca.
They are named: "morranenses".
The Arangol chain mountain stands
behind the village and the landscape is not just found the plain. In
fact, continues sending the Sierra de Guara, although comes to
Arangol marking the division between the valleys of two rivers:
Formiga and Alcanadre. Morrano is among Bastarás
-the village that was sold- and Bierge, dependent on the latter
municipality. The village is tended on limestone base, in the olive
grounds which once provided the main source of wealth of the term and
even of the district.
The name comes from the Roman Moranus
person name, and before place would be village in 1213. It maintained
its own council with San Román and Yaso, until 1970-1980,
when it joined to Bierge. Its term includes likewise the uninhabited
In 1097 belonged to the monastery of
St. Ponce de Tomeras, by cession of Pedro, bishop of Huesca.
On April 8, 1275, Inés, abbess of the Casbas and
Ato de Foces, named referees so that would be established the
limits among Morrano, Yaso, Sieso and Castelnou. In 1566
the place was of the order of the Hospital, according to Duran Gudiol.
Its population came to exceed one hundred
and fifty inhabitants in the nineteenth century and continued until
twenty mid-century. But in 1970 only had 51 inhabitants, to have a lot
The urban nucleus is built through a main
street running through it from side to side, leading to a large square.
The straight line is practically impossible, since each section is broken.
Secondary streets, short track, link perpendicular to the axis on which
they are. The buildings date from the XVI and XVII centuries, at least
the oldest, as there are other much more from recent times, when not
offered refurbished. The ashlar stone and brick listed as primary building
materials, although the first only appears occasionally.
The Town Hall was attractive; keeping
its old elegance. So that did not there was doubts, lit up the date of its construction: year 1733.
There is a reference to 1279 (Rius,
"Rationes", page 8), which states that the church of Santa Cecilia
of Morrano was San Pedro "El Viejo" in Huesca, but in
Morrano they did not know a reason by this church, since the
church is dedicated to San Pedro. It is a Romanesque building,
which retains its circular apse and bell tower raised together the head,
three bodies. In the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries there was
a remodel, which divided the nave into three sections and chapels were
opened as cruise arms, covered with the corresponding domes. The first
section of the nave is covered with a barrel vault, and crashed the
other two. The entrance door is located at the foot and opens in arch,
sheltered under portico.
The chapel of St. Bartholomew is from
the seventeenth century. Are cited San Cristóbal and St.
Vincent Martyr also.
The lineage of Morrano persons
corresponds to an aragonese family documented already in the sixteenth
century, using as heraldries weapons a gold shield with three branches
vert, arranged in triangle.
Call our attention a "pond" of medium
proportions, located in the same village, whose water no doubt has its
uses for irrigation.