|Historical and monumental
its contemplation results
It is a village of the province of Huesca,
located in the somontano ,(under mountains) of the Huesca
Hole region. They are about 320 inhabitantns. Altitude: 560 meters
on the sea level. It is from Huesca 29 kilometers. Gentile:
The Huesca somontano ascends
on the basin of the Alcanadre river. We must follow the highway
of Barbastro, until Angúés village, from where will
be taken the deviation for Casbas, in the left hand. In a little
time, the traveller will meet an urban nucleus of singular interest,
for its medieval sketch, of the which highlights the group formed
for the Santa María monastery (Cistercian), much more acquaintance
popularly as monastery of Casbas. It took the surname of the
little town from 1857, in which it was named Casbas de Huesca;
without doubt to differentiate of its namesake of Casbas de Jaca,
that was depopulated.
The little town appears when overflowing
the deviation to Junzano, on the right hand. Although the traveller
would arrive thinking about the monastery, that accumulates great
part of the history and the art of the place, he should not give to
wander through the streets of long path, with its picturesque corners
and its full nooks of charm. The ashlar and the stone walls are present
in almost all houses, many with old gates of arch formed by an exact
semicircle, of the XVIII century. It is an extraordinary sample of
popular architecture, in general well kept.
Casbas means "ewe earth", according
to the Jesús Conte Oliveros historian and possibly it
was so at past times, when the pastureland is extended on the evenness,
between the little town and the river. Jesús Pejón, born casbasino,
contributed data for the first history of the village:
-The three burials of the "callizo"
of Marquínez (now it's said Marquiz) are from the Bascués time. The
water was of wells; those of Zamora has a related legend to the Nunilo
and Alodia female saints, born in Adahuesca. The running track was
the street of saint Julian, street of the Horno until the old road.
The remains of the cemetery, in saint Julian of Aflor (in other times
it went named Azlor), indicate that the town was not very big-.
It is from March 5, 1173 when Casbas begins to transform in
a really important center for the whole region, with a decisive influence
in all. It had passed the reconquest. Casbas had been conquered
for the count of Urgel, who gave his rights to his daughter
Lady Oria who arranged the foundation of the monastery..
According to Durán Gudiol and
Ubieto Arteta, remains constancy in the "Diplomatic collection
of the cathedral of Huesca" and in "Documents of Casbas"
that went on 26th February 1172 when Esteban, bishop of Huesca,
conceded a licentiate to Aurea, countess of Pallás,
for building a monastery in Casbas. and on 5th March 1173 ,
Arnaldo de Pallás recognized to the monastery the property
on the churches of Casbas and other. The already mentioned
Esteban bishop gave those of Arnellas and Peralta
also, in 1182. And on 19th August 1295, the king Jaime Ist
of Aragon exempted to the mentioned monastery of the tax of coin and
other in all your places.
The place, because, went dominion of
abbey and so it figured still in 1785. In 1610 , Juan Bautista
Labaña wrote of the place: "the monastery is big, the church
is small, but of good form for that time... It makes little time that
were some nuns; it has been reformed, and those who enter again are
observants, of those who had twelve; and of the cloistered nuns, ten,
that are kept in their freedom of can go out, as they do it ".
At this point, good it will be to remember
that the monastery, for being not of confinement, formed an all with
the own village and that the cloistered began with the council of
Trent. The monastery was builded in agreement with the Cistercian
prevailing model in the time, to judge for the remains that there
are kept of the original structure, just as the walls, the tribute
tower, the abattial house, the cloister, the capitular hall and the
It then passed from the 12th century
to the 15th. and also to the 16th and 17th century. as in different
times were made enlargement or modification works of part of the monastery.
The major renovations were made between 1652 and 1656 years during
the abaciado (abbacy) of Luisa de Laporta.
Through the large fortified tower you
access to two courtyards. One of them takes directly to the cloister,
after going through a gantry of the XVI century. The cloister of four
corridors with lobed arcs, is from the XV century, the capitular hall
is later, of the following century, to judge by the tombstones that
it shines. The Romanesque church consists of nave and crossing with
three apses. Meanwhile that the crossing is covered with octogonal
dome, the nave makes it with barrel vault supported by transverse
arches. The cover is adorned with eleven round arches in gradation,
and the tympanum is decorated with the corresponding chrismon.
Great loss represented for the monastery
the war of 1936, with the disappearance of valuable works and furniture,
between those highlights the chairs of the chorus, carved in 1506.
by the Juan Bierto sculptor, of Saragossa. They are kept, notwithstanding,
two tables of the XVI century in the high altar and a predella of
paintings representing a story of the XV century.
The parochial church of saint Nicholas
was built for the José Soft architect, from Huesca,
in the XVIII century, on the ancestral site of the previous church
and ancient cemetery. It has plant of latin cross, with three naves,
the central covered with vault of lunettes and on the both sides,
of height minor, with circular vaults on pechinas. The crossing
is covered with dome, on pechinas also. The tower forms
part the main facade, in which is opened the door, of three bodies.
Casbas, in other times, had
for Saint Patron to San Juan Bautista; at present is saint
Nicolas de Bail, and the patronal feasts are celebrated from December
6 to 9.
There is, moreover, two hermitages,
dedicated respectively, to San José and to Nuestra Señora
de Bascués. The first consists of a nave covered with vault of
lunettes and major chapel with octogonal dome, meanwhile that in the
lateral sides are opened other chapels like a crossing. The second
is Romanesque of the XII century, although was enlarged afterwards,
and has also a single nave with semicircular apse.
Casbas de Huesca formed town
hall with the mountain of Bascués, in 1834. In 1960-1970 were
united to it, Junzano. Labata and Sieso de Huesca; and
in 1970-1980, Panzano. Its heraldic arms consist in a quartered
shield, with the quarters first and fourth in golden, with three sashes
of gules, and second and third of silver, with star of gules of eight
tips, and the latin legend "Ave gratia plena", in sabre lyrics,
on a bordure of silver.
In one of the entrances of the little
town, there is a flourishing and modern urbanization, with many single
family houses and garden areas, whose prosperous future seems contained
for the relentless crisis in the construction and in the general economy
of the moment. Of any mode, resuts a clear exponent of the attractive
residential that the Casbas village practices.