|Great artistic value
in a monastic building
The Monastery of Our Lady of the Glory of
Casbas de Huesca, is about 29 km. from the capital, heading
Barbastro town. You have to take a left turn after exceeded
the villages of Angüés in Junzano direction, a town
that you will leave behind.
This monastery is included in the town, it
seems to belong. It is accessed by a small door inside in a gate of
great proportions. Once transferred this door, we surprised with a
small paved patio, in form of passage and that tops its departure
in an arc, from which the various constructions suggest various times
in a wide open space.
It was founded in 1172-1173 and dedicated
to Our Lady of the Glory of Casbas de Huesca, for the express
wish of the Countess of Pallars Oria -daughter of the Count
of Urgel- who had a clearly intention to devote to family vault,
although in it was received Christian assistance and protection also.
A few years later, in 1196, Pope Celestine III allows the adoption
of the Cistercian Rule of St. Benedict so became dependent of the
Morimond French monastery. In 1178, it ended up having legal influence
on various places and villages.
The construction of all different accessories
of this monastery was started immediately after its foundation in
1173, although in 1208 it was still continued working the corresponding
part of its church. A building with plant of latin cross, three semicircular
apses, cruise and central nave covered with a barrel vault, with high
chorus and below. The dome that is octogonal, could be attributed
to the abbess Jerónima de Azlor (1609-1615). The portico, has
eleven round arches (in gradation), and a decorated tympanum with
chrismon. The door of the temple, romanesque, dates from about 1200.
The disappeared chairs of the high chorus, was carved between 1515
and 1520, by the sculptor of Saragossa Juan Bierto. In spite
of having been reformed the church in the XVII century, still keeps
romanesque remains. In the inside, moreover, there is two tables from
XVI century in the main altar, -representing to saint Bernardine of
Claraval and the Virgin with the Child- and a predella of the
altarpiece from XV century. It was venerated a Romanesque carving
of the Virgin, -XIII century- that proceeded from the masculine Cistercian
monastery of Santa María of Glory, in the valley of Abena.
A lot of furniture disappeared during the civil war of 1936. To stand
out, a small Gothic cloister of warheads, XIV-XV centuries located
in an inner courtyard.
The Cistercian style, with Romanesque forms
still, is detected in the more ancient constructions; but the whole
possesses buildings of different times until the XVIII century. There
was a fortress of which remains can be seen, very evident in the main
entrance, under the Tower of Homage.
They can currently be seen, notwithstanding,
in the whole of the monastery some ruins of the original structure:
walls, abbey house, homage tower, cloister and capitular room, as
well as the monastic church, of abundant modifications taken to the
end during the mandate of Luisa de Laporta (1652-1656). In
the capitular hall there are some tombstones with reliefs sculpted
of some abbesses from XIV century.
In general, the buildings are distributed
in two rectangular courtyards. In those of the major surface will
find the source, the washing place and the well of ice, vegetable
gardens, the southern facade of the church and a pavilion from XVIII
century. In those of smaller proportions will find the hospice, different
dependencies destined to services and the main entrance to the monastic
The monkish dependencies are found
about an cloister from XV century subdued to several reforms. it is
where is found: wineries, refectory and capitular room, as well as
access to the church for the side of the Gospel.
The life of the monastery, in the last
lustrums, progressively was beginning to languish, in spite of some
attempt for recovering somewhat of its activity. The religious community
was present until the year 2004. Afterwards, all went to the Progea
Foundation, that tried to reactivate it.
The monastery was declared a Historic
Artistic Monument, of national character, through the Royal Decree
of 16th November 1979 of the ministry of culture. This statement was
published in the official bulletin of the state of 22th January 1980,
to be completed on 16th February 2004 as good of cultural interest.
Without doubt, a well deserved distinction, that does justice to so
The place is of undoubted appeal, even
seeing it uninhabited. Its visit keeps a remember like a place of
spiritual absorption, transmitting peace and quiet also. A certain
nostalgia by the absence of the radiant past accompanies us; all are
sensations that I recommend to enjoy.