| Picturesque place
..... in the Valley of Huesca
A Village situated in the Valley of Huesca,
with 355 inhabitants (register of 1998) that covers the companies of population
of Fañanás and Pueyo de Fañanás. Its altitude is of 517 meters on the
level of the sea. It is away from Huesca only 13 kilometers and the "gentilicio"
(they are known as ...) is "alcalaíno" (from "alcalá").
Down, next to the highway that goes of Monflorite
to Fañanás -nearby is the crossing that leaves to Siétamo, to the highway
of Barbastro-, thera are some buildings of new plant, a so much snapped
of the central urban nucleus, that is elevated on a mound planted
in the Valley of Huesca. Up is the church. As in so many other towns,
in Alcalá del Obispo there is a Alta(high) street and a bajo (under) neighborhood.
And a (greater) Mayor street and another of the Church one.
Alcalá signifies castle. The origin seems clear, one more time, with the place name
Arabian al-Qalá. This of the Bishop came later, by virtue of the domains exercised , including that of Montearagón.
The history, to the shadow of the old monastery, was shared for all the towns around. The landscape undulates
to stretches, altering the plain. The distance to Huesca is minimum, of only 13 kilometers, but the traveler is felt far away of
the city, because Alcalá del Obispo is opened like town only, that a time came to count with more than thousand inhabitants.
In 1900 they were 1354. Now, they surpass the 550, adding him Fañanás and Pueyo de Fañanás as aggregate population.
The access, since the highway, continues in straight line, and the urban helmet
is opened from an extensive rectangular public square, without barely safeguard of buildings, closed in one of its sides by
the wall of a street. Later, all will be in slope. Up, in higher, the church. No longer there will be more streets later, because
the Alta one remains at the foot of the eclesiastical building, partially encircling it. There was the castle (indicates a neighbor).
Possibly a fortress was raised primitively, of the one that now do not remain traces. In every case, the church supposedly could
be built on the ruins of the old castle. In the documents of the epoch is spoken of the castle of Alcalá del Obispo, in the same
measure that of other many places that were likewise fortified. Another access (the most next one al crossing), will carry us
directly down the church..
The building of the parroquial church was erected among the centuries XVII and XVIII.
Its interior is divided into three naves. These are covered with vault..
Abroad they emphasize the front with lintel and the tower of four bodies, of square
plant, in the side of the epistle, dated in 1785. All too much next in the time, although can be counted for centuries.
Adobe and mud-wall, among chains of ashlars and bricks, are the most frequent building materials. The factory of the temple,
on the maximum height, receives escort of trees and bushes, plants and flowers. Today ruin turns out to be
threatening and a zone of security has been indicated in avoidance of damages by the clear cave-in.
Some houses show to the air its noble past, with fronts of medium point, quoins,
and stones in its facades. The shields worked in stone testify the noblesse of the old inhabitants. Alcalá del Obispo
is a full town of light, by its special orientation in the high of a hill, the hill of the Castle. The urban perspective turns out
to be very pleasing to the contemplation. Likewise attractive it is the shown hospitality of the alcalínos.
The agriculture and the stockbreeding constitute some important resources for
Alcalá del Obispo. The building of the Cooperative, with their extensive naves, is found situated set against the square.
Other ships extend in the outskirts, including them destined to farms. The fields of work are prolonged beyond the urban
helmet, near of the hill, and cross to the another side of the highway, in direction to Siétamo.
Near the population reflects the river bed of the Botella river, tributary of the
Guatizalema. It remains guaranteed the sufficient water to encourage an extensive departure of garden, where the good
vegetables increase very much.