Huesca thematic

Number 71. April of 2004. Spanish language  Principal menu

"Santo Domingo" Square


The historic end
..... for the "Coso Bajo" street


     It is named so by the church of the extinguished convent of preachers, under the inovocation of its founder, Santo Domingo de Guzmán, who promoted also the devotion of the Holy Rosary. Today it is parroquial church of Santo Domingo y San Martín. here it was, set against the Door of Stone, the neighborhood of the flowerbeds and potters, whose ovens sent to transfer Jaime I (1268) to the Hill of the Martyrs, so that they did not bother to the monks that inhabited the primitive convent, such time more close to the walls that the subsequent one. Alfonso III granted them the privilege no bawdyhouse would be installed in their proximity, since "who avoids the occasion avoids the danger".
     It seems to be that the Stone Door or Pedrera was toward the half of the street of Salvador Canellas; and of there downward, toward the Santo Domingo Square, left a "barbican" that communicated with the tower albarrana situated in the corner , in the present "Lafarga house" , that still reached to draw Ramón Acín.
     The convent of preachers was founded September 5, 1255, on the initiative of the Infant Mr. Alfonso, son of Jaime I, in some houses and orchards situated inside the wall of land. With occasion of the wars with Castille, Pedro IV ordered its demolition (1362), by being too much near the walls of stone, although subsequently the friars returned and proceeded to its reconstruction, putting up a Gothic church that then would be substituted (1695) by the baroque temple that has lasted to us.
     Work of the Valencian architect fray Antonio Falcón (posthumous waork), it is baroque, of plant in cross of a single nave with lateral chapels communicated among itself by narrow passages. The churrigueresque altarpieces form a beautiful assembly, in which especially emphasizes the chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary. In the cruiser, side of the Gospel, it is found that was greater altar of the church parroquial of San Martín, transferred here when it was demolished and to be fused both parishes. Very venerated and of a singular artistic value is the image of the Christ of the Pardon, that carved fray Pedro Nolivos, a layman, in the century XVIII.
      In this parish situates the brotherhood of the "Vera Cruz", organizing of the processions in the Holy Week from time inmemorial (already existed in 1587).


      In it have noticeable the zeal of its superintendents, illustrious oscenses (from Huesca) Mr. Raimundo and Mr. Antonio Vilas, Mr. Ignacio Claver, D. Mateo Estaún, Mr. Vicente Ferrer and Mr. Daniel Calasanz; as well as the one that was its prior, popular parish priest of Santo Domingo y San Martín, mosen Demetrio Segura, already passed away.
      The church, that formed part of the old convent -demolished the year 1836, during the Desamortización (historical seizure of the religious heritage)- develops in factory of brick, with plant in latin american cross of five sections, cruiser and presbitery, provided of lateral chapels communicated among itself and high galleries. The plant is covered with vault tube and lunettes, and the cruiser whith a dome on pechinas concluded by flashlight. The chapel of the Rosary turns out to be notable, with form of cross, built later, and covered by dome, elliptic vault and lunettes. The interior of the church is profusely decorated to the baroque style and configures an assembly of indicated plastic interest. Its outside is formed by different elements of composition in brick, concluded by a triangular pediment and lateral great wings. It emphasizes its portico, composed by an element with lintel, lateral pilasters and niche upper decorated. In it the arch of medium point of the access is sheltered.

      In this plaza flow the street of Perena, the Coso Bajo street and the Ramón y Cajal promenade. Belongs to the parish and neighborhood of Holy Sunday and San Martín.

§§§§§§§§§§----------------

* Manuel Tomé



  Hay más artículos !!Upper Aragon, Literary Articles (Huesca, Spain)


 Visite Huesca, le sorprenderá ....