Huesca thematic

Number 74. July of 2004. Spanish language  Principal menu

San Salvador Street (Huesca)


In the old quarter
the saints Nunilo and Alodia


     This colorful street, also was called of the Virgins, by the other invocation of the church that had here, dedicated to San Salvador, the Saints Nunilo and Alodia (virgins and martyrs) and later also to San Esteban Proto-martyr.
     Here it was the mosque that Pedro I donated in 1097 to the monastery of San Salvador de Leyre, in Navarre, where the bodies of the saints had been transferred. In century XII already the romanesque church would be built, with its annexed hospital, that would be recovered later. Near it was the well of the saints, in where according to the tradition they were thrown. Still today the well is conserved in which it was the bakery of Domingo Marín ; the superior part of this well is in the street, and it is covered by a niche in which there is an inscription that remembers the fact. Not so far from was, in the medieval centuries, the public macelo or slaughter house.
     In number 1 of this street, it was the writing and administration of the newspaper The Province of Huesca, publication of political nature, news and material interests, and that it appeared the 15 of May of 1878. In the corner with the street of Castile it was the factory of plumbing Azor-Gracia, replaced more ahead by the well-known "El Peñista" bar.
      This street communicates the seat of San Pedro with the confluence of the streets of Las Cortes, Aínsa and Costanilla de Luna. It belongs to the parish and district of San Pedro el Viejo.
     The tradition makes martyrs a Nunilo and Alodia in Huesca in the 846 (or the 851). They were born in Adahuesca and they were victims of several persecutions. On the one hand, persecuted them the founder of Barbastro (the cadí Jalai Ibn Rasid, constructor of the strength of Alquézar as well), who despite would leave them later free; and on the other hand, the cruel Zumel (of Huesca) that ordered to kill them in the Tozal (mound) that today indeed is called of the Martyrs and in the East outskirts of the city, in the left margin of the Isuela river, over in the stroll of Lucas Mallada.


      These unfortunate young people lived in Barbués, daughters of a mixed marriage (father Moor and Christian mother). The Muslim law said that those children had to follow the religion of the father, and when their mother was married in second nuptials with a moor, they not yet had abdicated of Christian faith , reason why they were given to the cadí, that as well put them into the hands of sluts, who failed in the attempt of pervert them.
      They would be jailed, and in the prison their bodies were seen with alive brilliances, reason why during the martyrdom their executioners were good careful to cover their bodies. They executed them and their rest were thrown to a garbage, but the vermin not even came near; seen that which, the bodies would crawl by the streets of Huesca and would expose in the "cerro de las horcas" (hill of gallows), where the vultures nor touched them, but that moreover they were their caretakers.

      Even buried, they were illuminated by that light, reason why they decided to throw them to a well which they would cover later and of where removed them, later, incorrupt. The relics went to the Monastery of Leyre and from they would be transferred there to Sangüesa in 1836.

§§§§§§§§§§----------------

* Manuel Tomé Bosqued
** Other informative sources



  Hay más artículos !!Upper Aragon, Literary Articles (Huesca, Spain)


 Visite Huesca, le sorprenderá ....