| Secular domain,
village of uncertain future
This place of the province of Huesca
belongs to the city council of Biscarrués. Its altitude is of
458 meters on the level of the sea and the distance from Huesca is 39
kilometers. The inhabitants are named "eresinos".
During centuries, the village of Erés
was of secular domain, where the acted like a mayor of the Ayerbe
one. Also, at other moments it depended on Murillo de Gállego,
reason because this place was enrolled in the province of Zaragoza,
like proves the fact that it even got to belong to Tarazona between
years 1495 and 1646 also. Finally, from 1711 to 1833 it appeared like
jurisdiction territory of Huesca. But it formed own City council
in 1834, merging with Biscarrués at 1845. It had one short municipal
life, since the little registered population could not allow itself
the waste that supposed to maintain its municipal independence.
Madoz gave account, in 1848, of 12 houses and 58 inhabitants.
Nevertheless, in the census of 1857 appear 86 inhabitants already. At the moment, in March
of 2005, they are a fifteen inhabitans who occupy average dozen of houses.
Erés is located to the north of Biscarrués, on the left margin
of the Gállego river, whose waters begin to back up exactly there, by the effect of the dam of Ardisa.
He is bordering with the province of Zaragoza; and so single it is enough with gaining the other border
of the channel to change to that province. They tell that in times, the bailiff notified the neighbors,
municipal subjects from cliff of the right border of the river, in order to avoid to have to give a long
roundup until the place. He made it from an enormous flagstone with platform functions and that
they gave in calling "piedra gritadera" (cry stone).
The town locates its urban nucleus on
the brink of a gorge, but in a level land. The truth is that the town
only is a wide and clean street, with the square in an extreme and the
parochial church in another one. Does not greater synthesis fit of a
town, represented, generally, by those three only elements: a street,
a square and a church.
The amplitude of the street allows to the neighbors to develop to their whim,
who never knew of scarcities, because the buildings looked for their expansion along of the urban route, instead
of jamming around the building of the parochial, that is certainly, somewhat separated.
It calls the attention the entrance to the town that has only the width of the narrow roadway of the highway that allows its
access; it is hardly a space, without sidewalks,
between two constructions. Once exceeded that entrance, in the center of the square, a well and a small sink
speaks to us of the past; the arrival of running water to the houses, turned to in others times elementary and
in simple and dumb ornamentales testimonies.
In the side opposed to the access to
town, in the prolongation of which it is almost unique street, we will
find the parochial; church that is dedicated to San Jorge, patron
saint of Aragón. It is a work of century XVII, composed by a
single ship covered with tube vault. The tower is later; it was raised
in 1886, with its two sillar stone bodies.
From the enclave of the church, the pan
views are impressive, allowing to see all the limestone conglomerates
of the "Kingdom of the Mallos", with the remarkable protagonism
of Riglos; a relaxing pan that powers to the peace sensation
that Erés inspires..
Although in some documents and books appear Erés writing
(with accent, like acute word), neighbors pronounce Eres, for that reason Alfonso Zapater thought in the
convenience of suppressing the accent and of leaving the word like the own neighbors of Erés, in those years,
they wanted it.
Erés, in spite of the brevity of the town, is an pleasant place with enchantments,
as much by its geographic situation, that offers from waters of Gállego river and the beautiful panoramics
of the mallos of Riglos, until the familiar hospitality of its few inhabitants, of whom some show
the old habits, not doubting a moment in offering house and foods to entertain the visitor.
The place, even being so small, it has not resigned to enjoy municipal
swimming pool and social club.
Erés celebrates its fiestas the 23 of April, in honor of San Jorge, that
exerts the double patron saint of the church and the town.
It turns out inevitable to describe Erés
without mentioning its threatened future, because its earth, for many
years already, are running risk of being flooded by the creation of
a marsh. The opinions, at this point, differ because the personal affectation
and interests are different.