| Historical place,
Place of the province of Huesca, located
in the "La Hoya" (The Hole). Inhabitants: 193 (in 1999),
Altitude: 4.56 meters on the level of the sea. It's about 5 kilometers
from Huesca. They are named monfloritanos.
From capital (Huesca), the distance is
minimum, of only five kilometers. One goes in front of the convent of
Santa Clara to line up the highway in the direction of Molinos,
place already depopulated, with deflection to the left. To little time,
it will have an interview, to the right of the traveller, the glorious
ruins of the sanctuary of Los Dolores.
Before they came from twelve towns -
counted, in MonfIorite -, and now single they go the neighbors
of Siétamo and those of Ola. The tradition has been recovered
partly. For this, the way was prepared. Black poplars were planted in
order to create a zone hoisted around the hermitage - altogether, two
hectares of surface- and pines bordering the hill. Also the yearned
for restoration arrive, at least to justify the presence of the romeros
(persons taking part in a procession) every year. They were the head
tracts still, of trilobulada plant, with three apses covered
for vaults of aquarter of sphere, from the century XlI, and remains
of murals paintings.
The primitive name of the place was Monteflorite.
They tell that in 1176 already there was certainty of the hermitage
of the Dolores, because "Doña Viriata gave it the declina
and primicia of the town, in addition to two cahizadas
of sembradura (sowing) and two fields of twelve yugadas
(yokes)". Jaime I, went to litigation by the property of this church,
facing the "rich men" of Monflorite, when trying to erect in
the sanctuary a convent of the Merced. Then he named arbiter
to the bishop of Huesca, Domingo de Sola, who yielded the church
in question to the convent of mercedarios of Huesca, the 23 of
May of 1264. At that time he was temporary gentleman of the place Fortunio
Bergua. The 21 of March of 1266, the same bishop already mentioned
yielded to the Chapter of the Merced the fourth part of the tenth
and primicias of the church at issue, and the corresponding document
was signed by Sancho, son of the king. In 1391 was instituted
perpetual vicar of parochial church of Monflorite the monk Pedro
Guillamón, that showed the representation of the general of the
order of the Merced. This situation of dependency would stay
until 1722, in that the mercedarios yielded the rights of the
patronage to the Duke of Villahermosa, at that time Mr. of Monflorite.
It is also counted that in 1533 Huesca
suffered a great drought that caused the corresponding epidemic, and
everything ceased after being exposed to the public adoration, during
eight days, the image of the Dolores's Virgin. The Huesca city,
in gratefulness, made vote of going every year in procession to the
hermitage, with agreement of bishop and of the town hall, being celebrated
a mass; but the pawned vote was broken in 1641, by express will of then
bishop, Don Esteban de Esmir.
It is not for being surprised, therefore,
that the neighbors of Monflorite had put all their persistence
in trying to rescue tradition of its glorious hermitage.
The place was constituted in City council
in 1834, and in 1845 Bellestar was united to it. Finally, in 1960-1970
was merged with Lascasas to form the new municipality of Monflorite-Lascasas,
with capital in Monflorite.
The urban centre is based in the plain,
surrounded by fields of work, trees and shrubs. The irrigation channels
do like "mirrors" between the foliage. There are excellent buildings
of ashlar stone, that conserve their old excellence; others are offered
rejuvenated. The garden zones embellish all. To the bottom in which
it was a great esplanade, the Cultural Center is rised, that began its
walking in 1985. Indeed, behind the back of this Cultural Center, blooms
a modern urbanization of comfortable houses.
The parochial church is dedicated to
the Purest Conception. It has rectangular plant and it consists of one
ship of five sections that are covered with depressed vaults. The facade
presents three separated bodies by cornices, of masonry. To little distance
a tower rises, with door of archivolt pointed in its main facade, and
above there is a window, of two pointed arcs, with shields. Other two
similar windows adorn the later facade. And still is another opened
semicircular window in one of the lateral facades. Underneath, corresponding
saeteras (window for arrows). All is dated in the century XV.
Blasco de Maza controlled the place in century XIII and, like so, in 1241, he yielded Monflorite to the convent of the Merced, against the will of the residents, which gave origin apparently, to the later lawsuits already reviewed. In 1330 belongs to Lope de Gurrea, which ratified Pedro IV of Aragón in 1334. Labaña briefed domain of the count of Luna, in 1610.
The recovered castle, near to the church
square, offers the majesty of its tower, to lodge an Interpretation Center.
There are supervisory celebrations the
last days of August, in honor of Sant Faustus. Monflorite is known in
aeronautical atmospheres by its glider pilot school, inside its municipal
term, on a hill next to the population. He was founded on 1940, and
his first director, Peñafiel captain, elevated it to international