village in the Somontano.
It is a Villa of the province of Huesca, located in the somontano (down mountains). It has something more than 400 inhabitants, and its altitude is about 543 meters on the sea level. It's 23 Kilometers to Huesca. Its inhabitants are named angüesino or angüesano.
The traveller usually stops with frequency in the highway, that passageing by Angüés, in direction to Barbastro, is like a street, with buildings at both sides. The stop is justified, in this case, by the commerce that offers its peculiar exquisiteness there same, in other times removing their typical products to the street, on the sidewalk, like an prolongation of the show-windows. Soon you feel forced to buy bread and cakes, that enjoy of deserved fame.
After successive curves and plains, the landscape rises on a level more, in the backs up urban centarl area of Angüés, presided by the tower of its parochial church, of attractive silhouette, that marks the transition to the gothic style. Angüés, with single 23 Kms of distance from Huesca, the capital, is crossroad for Antillón and Pueyo de Fañanás, to a side, and the monastery of Casbas, on the other hand. Further on, is the one of San Cosme and San Damián. For this it is necessary to enter himself in direction of the mountain range of Guara. Next to the highway shine the waters of a raft, that long time ago remedied not few necessities. Today it is adornment, although the cattle can go to satiate its thirst. Next, the silo, concrete demonstration of the grain importance of the zone. And the bar, the boardinghouse and the gas station. That's settled then, the traveller has exceeded reasons to stop.
The urban central area puts inwards, facing the mountain range. From the highway it is impossible to guess the layout of the streets and squares, nonfree of picturesque style. The architecture lends an air of distinction to the buildings of Renaissance appearance, faithfuls to the classic Aragonese style, with great doorways and thresholds of stone. Most of them date from principles of century XVIII. The wrought thresholds give testimony of the years that go of 1700 to 1720.
The history relates that Angüés, beautiful villa reconquered to the Moorish in 1093 by Sancho Ramírez, had its fortified castle. In the course of time it counted with own organizations of population, at this moment disappeared, such as Armillas, Macones, the Torraza and the Castena.
The Greater square is lent to one lengthy contemplation, by the special and monumental structure of the buildings. It excels, as it is natural, the parochial church of the Purification of Our Lady, that consists of three ships, the central one is romanesque of century XII, and the lateral ones of the century XVI. Together a slender tower of three bodies is raised, of origin Romanesque in its base and gothic of the century XVI in its end. It's rised with square plant, to end of octogonal form, the final phase is smaller and is escorted by four pilasters.
Gardens and plants ornament the squares and the streets. Some of the routes conserve their old names. So it happens to the Low street, the one of Middle and the of the Eras one. It still dominates the plain, and thus it will be until arriving at Casbas.
In the old way of Casbas it is contemplated a source excavated in the earth, with long staircase to accessing and three underground chambers. The tradition assures that is an Arab source.
Is a town well cared. The truth is that constitutes a surprise for the traveller, who makes a stop for a moment in the highway and forgets to enter himself in the interior of urban central area. Certain that the highway fulfills like street main, and to it have left almost all the services public. So single the City council continues being faithful to Greater square.
There are several distributed hermitages by the municipal term, dedicated respectively, to San Blas, San Miguel and San Marcos.For San Blas, celebrations are celebrated the first Sunday of October.