and Mountain range of the Eagle.
It is a place of the province of Huesca,
located on the left bank of the Isuela river. It has about 140 inhabitants.
Its altitude is of 599 meters on the level of sea. It's from Huesca
9 kilometers and its inhabitants are named igriesinos.
The railcar that leaves from Huesca in
the direction of Sabiñánigo runs straight until Nueno, parallel
to Isuela river. Soon after leaving the capital the traveller
meets with Yéqueda, and a little advanced more he will sight
to his right hand the urban area of Igriés, seated in the slope
of a hill. Opposite, to the other side of the highway, rest of which
were a permanent military camping of men, very popular in whole county.
In total, alone nine kilometers of having
traveled by good highway, still inside of the Valley (Hole), with the
Mountain range of the Eagle opposite and the mythical Jump of Roldán.
The urban nucleus offers cheerful and luminous, surrounded by work fields
and abundant hoisted area. The building of the parochial church highlights,
of relatively recent construction, with its facade and apse whitewashed
and the tower of excellent building work, erect, competing in height
with some next trees.
The old church was totally destroyed during the civil war and the present parish was builded years later. As the previous one were consecrated to Our Lady of the Hope.
Then, so that the past continues having its testimony in the ecclesiastical matter, the hermitage of Saint John the Baptist exists, that is of Romanesque origin, with nave of four tracts, semicircular apse and vault of a quarter of sphere.
The place was path and withdrawal of Huesca; it was constituted in City council in 1834, and to little, in 1845, Yéqueda was united to it, continuing in Igriés the municipal head.
The name of Igriés appears documented for the first time in the "Notary public of Montearagón", in 1104, with reason for the concord made by the bishop of Huesca and abbot of the mentioned monastery.
A time later, in September of 1134. Ramiro
II gave the village of Igriés to the seat of Huesca, with
all its properties. Forty and eight years later, Esteban, at
that time bishop of Huesca, exempted to those of lgriés
of ninth of the ewes and goats, having to pay the first fruits. In 1556,
it was of the bishop of Huesca, according to Durán.
The population's census can be considered
regressive, since Igriés hardly has increasing its inhabitants
respect last times. Pascual Madoz, by the middle of the XIX century,
pointed out 58 houses, 23 neighbors and 131 persons. In 1900, Igriés
had 442 inhabitants that it maintained until the decade of 1940-1950.
To those of Igriés are affectionately
nicknamed, cebolleros ("onioners"), without a doubt because the
onion is one of the cultivations that better occur in the bordering
orchard of the town. Also it enjoys of certain fame by its bread and
confectionery to the firewood furnace.