| A peerage village
lookout of Montearagón.
Place of the province of Huesca, located between the Flumen and Botella rivers. It has about 500 inhabitants and its altitude is of 581 meters on the level of the sea. It's from Huesca 10 kilometers. Its inhabittants are named loporzanenses.
To seven kilometers from the city of Huesca, once crowned the Estrecho Quinto (the Roman toponymy is totally just at this case), the traveller faces himself with the glorious ruins of the castle of Montearagón, old monastery, that emphasizes its silhouette on the sky, between suggestive resistances of light. Inevitable contemplation of this strength, as much when one goes away as one becomes from Barbastro.
To left is born the deflection for Loporzano, distant 3.6 kilometers of the general highway. The secondary route part in two afterwards: a branch goes away for Vadiello and the other for Bandaliés. Following first it is arrived at Loporzano, whose small village becomes visible from the same crossing, in the shade of the old monastery of Montearagón and the smooth mountainous spurs that close the horizon in the direction of Huesca.
At level with the unirrigated ground it's green the extensive
orchard land that descends stepped until the margins from Flumen river. Near is also the Botella river, although it is somewhat pretentious to denominate it so, since it is not more than a simple stream. To the bottom, towards the North, the corresponding summits rise the outer mountain ranges of Pyrenees, among them the one of Guara, that connects towards the East, putting end to the Somontano (Down Mountains). The Botella river will take the same inclination to go to spill its waters to the Guatizalema river. This zone of Huesca lives hides after the castle of Montearagón, hiding to the glances of the travellers who journey by the general highway; perhaps by this circumstance it is not as well-known as it is deserved, in spite of the little distance that separates it of the capital. The origin of Loporzano word corresponds with "place of wolves", and it is not stranger that outside in times, given the situation of the place, located down the mountain ranges; known it is that the wolves usually descend to the plain for reasons of subsistence, more in the Winter.
The small village extends to the right of the highway that continues until Vadiello, in inclined plane towards the bank. The layout of the streets is quite irregular, mainly, in the low part of the town,
where the streets seemed less taken care of. On the contrary, the better buildings are near the road, or near the parochial church.
When the firmament is free of clouds and the sun shines, Loporzano is surrounded in full luminosity. The squares are so irregular like the streets. Do not lack some trees shading, specially with regards to the street of the church and the City council. There the trees become thick in dense foliage. The Consistorial House is of a single floor, modern construction, in resistance with the neighboring building of the parochial church, that shows slender bell-tower, constructed in ashlar stone all. It raises square in three successive bodies -in the last, the bells lodge, with large windows that end in arc of average point -, and a fourth octogonal body raises and cupola in form of pyramid, with escort of four pilasters in the base.
The church, that abounds in gothic details, like happens in other so many churchs
of the Huesca's Somontano, dates from end of century XVI. Ricardo del Arco notified itsconstruction by the Almanzor teacher, about 1600 year; but it had to be anterior to this date, judging by some of documents existing. One of them dates from 1571 and talk about to the concession done by San Pío V, Pope, of 150 escudos (money) of this church for the canons of Huesca.
In the same year of 1571 it was founded, in addition, a benefit for the invocation of San José, San Joaquín and Santa Ana, who was enjoyed by the lawyer Don Ramon Burrial. Another benefit take refook in the invocation of the saints Fabian and Sebastián. Both had their census in Capdesaso.
The place belonged to the monastery of Montearagón, that extended its dominions to the rest of the region and still to much more distant zones. It does not seem strange, therefore, that Loporzano was inhabited by infanzones (nobles, with peerage tittle). Stones escudos on the great gangways, give testimony of past.
At the present time, the church occupies the same center of the urban center, and the houses continue grouped around, in accordance with the primitive urban distribution, exception done of the low part of the town. Wakes up to the traveller a beautiful fontain, with an interesting sculptural group, in fused iron, that rests on a pedestal, that they assure comes from Paris. The inhabitants know that the detail is worthy to have in account, because the French capital was from very old "cradle of the art" in Europe, and the source was developed in a flourishing time -possibly, at the end of century XIX or principles of the XX -, to going to stop, to finish its days, in the village of Loporzano. It is signed by A. Durenne. The surroundings perfectly harmonize with the sculptural group, that it still stands out more when having like bottom one white wall. In addition, in the base, the stone arises like necessary complement.
Loporzano, with about 500 inhabitants - it got to add near 2.500 -, it has its charge fourteen organizations of population: Aguas, La Almunia del Romeral,
Ayera. Bandaliés, Barluenga, Castilsabás, Coscullano, Chibluco,
Loscertales, San Julián de Banzo, Santa Eulalia la Mayor, Sasa
del Abadiado, Sipán and Vadiello.
The population of the zone was decreasing alarmingly. Now the abandonment seems halted, although many towns - because they continuan being it, in spite of everything- haved lost the hope of returnning to be shade of which they were.
In 1599 the third part of the inhabitants of Loporzano was died, from an epidemic; the contagion took six months, just half year, and throughout that time the neighbors remained cut off with the capital. When the plague decreased, the survivors decided to celebrate an annual celebration in honor of the saints Fabian and Sebastián. Before would begin so terrible epidemic, the celebrations were for the Ascent day, but they changed to the 20 of January.
There are other celebration throughout the year: procession to the hermitage
of Our Lady of the Vineyard, first of May, and the commemoration of the Pillar, the 12 of October. Formerly, for San Isidro, also one rose in procession to Montearagón.
Loporzano is the cradle of Antonio Arteta, that was archdeacon of Zaragoza, very loving man of printed letter. In 1780 received a prize by his studies on graphical arts.