center point of the city
Although the city of Huesca possesses
streets, corners and squares of rancid ancestry, without a doubt the
square of Navarrese enjoys much more popularity. Be for the vicinity
with the porchs (los porches) or the "4 corners" (Cuatro esquinas)
or Cosos (two importants streets),... this square of rich personality,
monopolizes good part of the social protagonism of the city. It has
been known and it's known for several names: square of the Casino,
square of Camo (old edil), square of Zaragoza (vicinity
to the highway of Zaragoza), square of Navarrese (in honor to
the Navarreses of the third of Doña María of Nieves -a military ground
After their first sketches, it was secured like urban space by virtue of the group of performances guided to be able to enlarge the city toward the South. In it, the old entrance roads coming from Zaragoza -that today is the street of Alcoraz- and the old one on the way to the station converge, already denominated street of Zaragoza.
With the supply of water to the city concluded
in 1885, to this square was endowed of a source, prepared in the center
and with space landscaped around it. The called source of the Muses,
is a work of D. Federico Villasante Milón (architect) and D.
Enrique Blondeau (sculptor); it constitutes an ornamental group
with marked character classicist. It has a circular compound element
in stone for a vessel with central pedestal on which the sculptural
piece raises, in fused iron. The composition is upward, very French,
with exempt different figures and another figures embedded around the
All the buildings that define the contour of the square, can show off of showing architectural remarkable styles. Even the most modern evidences a careful refinement in their contemporary architectures.
The "oscense" Circle or "casino", located
in the nº 4 of this square, is a singular piece in which the
urban different aspects converge besides those of their own architecture. It is
a work of D. Ildefonso Bonells Rexarch and it dates of 1901-1904.
Of a part, its strategic location between the old highway of Zaragoza
and the access road to park of Miguel Servet, makes it highlight
as an urban primordial element. On the other hand, the disposition of
its stairway and terrace, overturned toward to the square contributes
to fix its image, in full integration with the environment of the square.
The building is adjusted fully to the modernist rules. It is a piece
that is faithful reflection of the push of the bourgeoisies of these
times as much in the exterior as in interior.
In the nº 7 of the square, we will find
Santa Teresa's Church, a work of Juan Puente and Juan
Nadal, among the years 1641 - 1704. The barefoot Carmelite were
installed at a principle in the environment of the church of the Temper,
but in 1674, the community moves to its convent (in this location) that
today has disappeared except its church and the cloister.
The convent will be affected later by
the town reformations of the second half of the XIX century, being included
in the houses-group formed by the streets of Zaragoza and Alcoraz.
That reformation, provokes the creation of a minuscule square before
that small church, baroque, built in brick and stone-walll. The exterior
is flat, finished off with curved fronton, with central óculo
-round central window-.
The old "Delegation of Treasury", is in
the nº 11 of the square, it dates of 1927 and it is a work of the architect
D. Bruno Farina González-Novelles. Together with the modernist
image of Cículo Oscense, provides a very representative character
to the Square of Navarrese. The piece is markedly historicist, with
different stylistic repertoires of a final result very in agreement
with the architectural rules of the Aragonese mansions. It is a composition
biaxial, developed in three plants and supported in a wide skirting-board
that unifies its appearance. The accesses, are porticos of baroque inspiration,
replete of ornamental elements.
It completes the profile of the square remodeled buildings of bank entities, offices, trade and a very peculiar innkeeper establishment, the new "Granja Anita", historical and traditional place to have breakfast, to have a snack or simply to be with the friendships or family. Previously to the Granja Anita, it was the Fajarnés inn - famous for its rice with milk - from where the diligence that led to Almudévar left. Afterwards, years later, will make it the bus.
The square of Navarrese, nowadays, continues
being meeting center, wait place, place where to take the sun or the
shade, where many of our olders frequents their gatherings and count
their curious adventures. It is as that beloved square of the town that
as in the villages and places of AltoAragón (Upper-Aragon), continues
alive in the city.
This square, is also a witness and stage
of punctual events, so much for San Lorenzo festivals when it
takes its biggest participation in the final strake of the parties,
as for the end of Christmas, when the Magicians Kings coming from East,
summon the children of Huesca in a party and a full show with
emotions, sound, light and color.