| Oasis in the plain,
way to the reservoir of the Sotonera
Place of the province of Huesca, located
in the region of the Hole (Hoya), pertaining to the municipality
of Lupiñén-Ortilla. Inhabitants, few but of 200. Altitude: 469
meters on the level of the sea. It's from Huesca 20 kilometers.
The inhabitants are named "lupiñenses".
The deflection is to the left of the highway of Ayerbe (the N-240, of Huesca-Pamplona), opposed to Esquedas, in the direction of the reservoir of the La Sotonera, still in the plain, within the Hole of Huesca.
Lupiñén tends to the left of the
traveller, almost after the castle of Oitura. To the right, entering
yourself, you distinguish the "Las Casas de Nuevo". The work fields
arrive until the urban center, next to the agricultural houses and dependencies.
Some trees shade the surroundings.
Lupiñén is based horizontally,
with its somewhat irregular layout, but with wide streets; as much that
make unnecessary the great squares. The constructions are, in their
majority, of stonecutting. In fact, the ashlar stone fulfills solely
to form socles and to finish off the corners of the buildings. All is
pleasing. One feels the sensation of havieng found an oasis in the plain
where the territories of work extend.
A term cross, gives the welcome to the
traveller. It does not seem previous to century XVIII. And a public
source of eight sewers, flowing of an ashlar wall givingsed solidity
to the water, would mitigate the thirst of the traveller.
The tower of the parochial church of
San Martin is romanesque. It raises of square plant, with three
bodies, although it does not reach high altitude, not even with the
addition of its pronounced eight sides chapitel in pyramid form. In
its last body the bell tower lodges, with two bays of half point arc
by each one of the sides, so that the bronze voice is scattered freely
to the wind.
Peculiarly, the building of the church,
does not correspond with the time of the tower, since it is quite later
work, of centuries XVI and XVIII. It has latin cross plant and is covered
with vault of little vaults, whereas the cruise does, as it is habitual
in these cases, with the corresponding cupola on "pechinas"
(series of curved projections forming a border). In the lateral chapels
are opened, covers with bent vaults and, when no, with elliptical reduced
vault. The altarpieces are of centuries XVII and XVIII.
Lupinén has in addition, two hermitages dedicated to Nuestra Señora de la Huerta and San Pedro Martyr . First of them, has a ship with cover to two waters and it is of recent construction. Second was raised in century XVII and it is also made up, of a ship of three sections, with cover of arc of half point.
The place name, comes from the Roman name
of person, Lupinus or Lupinius. It was constituted in
City council in 1843, after having been path and withdrawal of Huesca.
Its municipal term includes the small villages of Algas, and
Oitura, and the nuclei of Campiés, Las Casas de Nuevo
- Nuevo simply, or Montenuevo-, Ortilla and Turrillos.
In 1970-1980 merged with Ortilla to form the new Lupiñén-Ortilla
municipality, with capital status in Lupiñén.
The first mention of the place, according to Ubieto-Arteta, appears in the “Notary public of Santa Cruz of the Serós”, the 30 of March of 1097, in that an alodium of “Lupiniene” is mentioned. Two years later, in March of 1099, Pedro I de Aragón, gave the church of “Lopingen” - thus it appears writing at this case- to the Monastery of Montearagón. In 1178, returns to seem like “Lopingen”, in the “diplomatic Collection of the cathedral of Huesca”, when alludes to Rodrigo del Su.
Finally, the term passage to the power of the order of the Hospital, charge of Aniés, that continued showing the property in 1610, according to Juan Labana Baptist.